We can all agree that dress codes can be confusing! There are so many different types to remember such as business casual, cocktail, black tie, white tie, casual and those are just to name a few. Dress codes aren't meant to be restricting but merely a guide to how you should dress for an event.
This is why I want to explain to your what cocktail attire for men is and guide you through exactly what options you have to wear when you receive this as a dress code.
What is Cocktail Dressing?
Cocktail dressing is a type of dress code that requires you to wear something that is sophisticated but not too formal. Cocktail attire is a step more formal than business casual but not quite at a black-tie level of formality. This is the type of look you would normally wear to the office or for an important interview.
Cocktail dressing sounds similar to semi-formal dressing but they are quite different. Both of these dress codes require darker colors, but with cocktail dressing, you can show off your personality with some color accessorize and embellishments.
When and Where do You Wear Cocktail Attire?
You will most likely find the dress code for cocktail attire on invitations to weddings, parties, and formal professional events. You should always adhere to a dress code if one is given as a sign of respect to the host. Cocktail dress code will likely be the most common dress code you will encounter which is great because it is made up of items and accessories you already own.
Outfits for Cocktail Attire for Men
The hardest part of this cocktail dress code is finding the perfect combination of garments and accessories that work together harmoniously.
To help you out I have created 4 outfits that are the perfect cocktail attire for men for any occasion. The days of being confused about what to wear for a cocktail dress code are over.
Cocktail Attire For Men: DOS
- Wear a suit coloured dark grey to mid blue
- Wear a button-down dress shirt under the suit jacket in white or a muted neutral colour
- A necktie or bow tie in a plain colour or subtle patterns
- Add a simple pocket square
- Dark dress shoes such as Oxfords
- Over the calf socks that coordinate with your tie or are in a subtle colour
- Shave and freshen up before the event
Cocktail Attire For Men: DON'Ts
- DONT wear a tuxedo or a white tie as this is too formal for Cocktail attire
- Avoid a black suit as these should be reserved for funerals
- DONT wear anything too flashy - crazy bright ties and bold patterns should be avoided
- DONT forget to wear a tie as this will make you look too casual
- DONT wear any casual clothing
- DONT wear casual shoes - stick with a formal shoe
- DONT go without socks - a nice sock is a must for cocktail attire
With all these cocktail attire for men tips and tricks, you should feel more than ready to show up within the dress code and looking your best.